I have been on DeviantArt for a month and all I can say is WOW. The diversity of people here is incredible! I have met so many kind and wonderful people who have offered me their knowledge and complements. I have gained numerous fans for my stock, both on my equine and human side. I've had my stock used for drawings, paintings, and photo manipulations, and I am flattered anytime anyone references my stock images!
I wish I could say that my entire experience has been wonderful. For the most part, I've really been enjoying myself, and I plan to continue to add my stock images to DeviantArt for your perousal. But I also wanted to make a note to let you know what I expect of comments on my stock.
I will try to reply to most comments, but I may not get to yours. Don't take offense; it means that your comment made me smile
Before I go on to tell you what I love and what I don't like, please keep the following in mind:
1. I am not a professional photographer, nor am I a professional model, and I have no ambition for either. I take 90% of my photos myself, and it's not always easy to be both at the same time.
2. My stock images are meant as drawing REFERENCES. Although you are welcome to use them for photomanipulation if they work for your project, that was never my original intent. In fact, when I started posting on here, I thought the stock images were ONLY for reference.
3. I do this for fun, and not in the slightest bit for profit (it costs me money; it's a hobby). I have a full-time job, so I do this only as time allows. That means that I don't have time to edit my images for your use. If you want to use them, the editing is on you. If you don't want to edit them, please do not feel obliged to use them.
4. There are thousands of people on DeviantArt, who need stock for millions of different projects. The stock I provide probably isn't what you need, but that doesn't mean it won't work for someone else. For some people, it's simply an inspiration for their own stock. If it's not what you need, don't worry---it wasn't intended for your use, it was intended for those who need it. Think of it like the guy who brings his girlfriend a huge stuffed bear at the airport, only you HATE stuffed bears. The thing is, you're neither the giver nor the receiver...you're just another person at the airport.
5. Many of my costumes I made myself. That means that I spent 3-4 hours designing and shopping for the costume, 10-20 hours making the costume, another hour or so doing my hair and makeup, 3-6 hours shooting photos, 1 hour uploading, and 1-2 hours putting them on DeviantArt. In addition, I spent quite a bit of money making or buying the costume and accessories, as well as all of my photography equipment. Before you write your one hurtful comment that took you 20 seconds to think of, remember that I spent at least 18 hours and hundreds of dollars trying to make it work and hoping it would turn out.
SO HERE ARE THE COMMENTS I ENJOY:
6. I LOVE getting your links to work you've done using my stock. It's the reason I will continue to do what I've been doing. I look at ALL of them, and have been amazed at people's imaginations! Also, if you have been inspired by one of my images to make your own stock image, I love knowing about it, and am flattered!
7. It's fun to have people comment on my beautiful horses (most of the horses I photograph are my own) or on my costumes. I love being people's inspiration, and other people make me feel inspired. Feel free to let me know if I did a good job.
8. Casual suggestions are fine, as long as they are kind and non-obtrusive. For example, saying something like "I'd love to see this gown outside on a cloudy day" or "Your dress is beautiful. I think it would look nicer against a red background," are fine. I may or may not take your suggestion, but I will certainly see it.
HERE ARE THE COMMENTS THAT ARE BELOW MY TOLERANCE LEVEL:
9. I am not interested in your critique or criticisms. Unless I specifically have asked your opinion (and there are people whom I do ask), it is not welcome. If you want to know why, please re-read 1-5, above.
10. Lewd, mean, or racist comments are NOT welcome, and will be hidden and reported. Even if you think it is flattering, other people will find it distasteful, and my stock is rated PG.
11, Finally, don't be mean. There's no reason for it. We're on here to have fun. I do this because I enjoy it, and if you don't like what you see on my profile, then please, move off of it and onto something else. You may not like what I have to offer, and I don't take offense to that, but please, don't be offensive to me for offering something for someone else to use or enjoy. This is for EVERYONE---not just for you. Please remember the golden rule, and do onto others only as you would have done unto yourself.
Most people have been great. If I had been having a mostly negative experience, you would not be seeing any more of me. Probably a good 99% of the comments I get are flattering, kind, and very, very welcome! So for all of you wonderful people out there: Thank you for admiring my stock, and thanks for my many new fans! I have met some fantastic people from all around the world, and I am amazed every day with everything I see on DeviantArt.